About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Military Vehicle of the Week

I tend to get pretty excited about tanks for sale. Sherman tanks especially. If I had to pick one thing that really made me think I wanted to have one when I grew up, one solitary influence that was more responsible than anything else for putting the idea in my head, it was the 1984 movie Tank with James Garner.

If you've never seen it, go rent a copy from Blockbuster, put it in your Netflix queue, or just plain order it from Amazon so you can kick back with a bowl of popcorn and watch a man and his tank terrorize a small town to defend the honor of some bar strumpet. Good clean fun.

But I'm about to go off track.

The reason I'm reminded of this wonderfully timeless motion picture is because the star of the film is up for auction on eBay. No, not James Garner, but rather the 1942 M4A3 Sherman Tank which played the title role. You can see the listing by clicking HERE.

It's rare enough to have an opportunity to buy a Sherman. Rarer still to find one that was in a movie. But so far this is the only one I know of that the movie was named after:


Here's a shot of it in the film:


If only I had half a million dollars to spend...

No comments:

Post a Comment