About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Brass in the Grass 2010

Sunday morning I went up to the North end of Santa Rosa to check out the annual "Brass in the Grass" show. This is a showcasing of pre-war cars, trucks, bikes, and boats; and they encourage folks to attend in period clothing. The venue was pretty classy all the way around and it was a pretty good time. Here's an overall shot I snapped on the way in:
Brass in the Grass

This old boat-tail Speedster really grabbed me:
Boat Tail 2

Mostly because of the back end:
Boat Tail
Then there was this Art Deco masterpiece:
Brass in the Grass DeSoto

An old Ford pickup that makes me really want one of my own:
Brass in the Grass Ford Pickup

Another speedster:
Speedster

Delivery truck:
Delivery Truck

Here's a lovingly restored Harley:
Brass in the Grass Harley

And a Buick that made the title "Brass in the Grass" mean something:
Brass in the Grass Buick

While there was plenty of shiny stuff to look at, I really liked some of the rusty, dusty pieces as well. Like this 1909 Overland:
Overland

Tons of great details on this car. Check out the horn:
Overland Horn

There were some military vehicles there too (which may have violated the "pre-war only" requirement) but I didn't take many pictures of them. It seems like almost all you ever see are Jeeps. While they're interesting enough, they've gotten kinda boring. There was one dressed up in Navy colors though. And an ambulance:
Jeep Ambulance

In the central area of the show were a row of American Bantams. These are adorable little cars. Really little. There was a whole row of them and they look like a lot of fun:
Bantam 1

Here's one configured as a delivery vehicle. There's no door on the back of the rear box, so whatever it was delivering had to go in and out of the cargo area through the space behind the seat:
Bantam 2

And here's another convertible Bantam with the top up:
Bantam 3

As I mentioned in the beginning of this post, there were vintage boats as well. I was hoping to see a lot more, but all that was there was a perfectly-restored Chris Craft and this gorgeous Garwood runabout:
Brass in the Grass Garwood

The Garwood plant shut down production of civilian craft for the duration of World War II while they were making landing craft and whatnot. This was the first boat delivered in 1946 when they'd re-tooled for pleasure craft again. It also violates the pre-war-only requirement, but it's pretty enough that nobody was complaining. Here's a detail shot of the other end:
Brass in the Grass Garwood Detail

I really wish I had the resources to be able to keep up with all of the brightwork on one of these.

So yeah, lots of neat stuff to see there. Now back to the workshop...

No comments:

Post a Comment