About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Countdown: Eight days to Maker Faire

In yesterday's entry, I wrote, "The last thing I did for the night was smooth over the silicone rubber jackets for the Mousers' head and body molds."  What I didn't write was "the last thing I did was cover the sticky, wet silicone with a cardboard box to keep it clean."  That's why, when I walked into this shop this morning, I was met with fruit fly carnage:
Kamikaze Bugs

It was pretty bad:
Bug Carnage

In fact, it was a full-on insect mass suicide:
Rubber all Covered in Bugs

Both molds were literally covered with dead bugs:
Rubber Jacket Molds Complete

So it goes.

I removed the pegs from the bottom edge and built up a clay wall, but never got around to laying up the mothermold.  I ended up getting distracted by the arrival of the UPS delivery guy who dropped off my order of these:
New Book Promo Cards

I'll be selling copies of my book at the booth this year, but I figured it'd also be good to have some of the cards to hand out for the folks who don't want to carry a copy around all over the Faire.  

On the subject of the booth, I cut out all of the frame parts for the new display bases.  Then I left them stacked on the table saw and completely forgot to do anything else with them for the day.

Shifting gears, I got back to work on the Grey Knight.  Specifically, I made the vent details for the chest.  I started by making cardboard templates of each edge:
Vent Edge Template

Then traced them onto some 1/2" plywood so I could cut them out on the scrollsaw:
Templates Traced onto Plywood

They were then put into place in the chest hole and glued together:
Wood Outline Fastening

With the glue set, each of the assemblies was taken to the table saw and notches were cut at a 45-degree angle:
Cutting Louvre Grooves on Table Saw

Th end result worked out reasonably well:
Vents Assembled


Then they were glassed in place inside the chest:
Vent Installed from Inside

I'm pleased with the results:
Chest Detail Progress

Then I added a series of PVC rings along the area around the neck hole:
Chest Vent Closeup

While I was doing that, Freddy and Tiki were working on getting the stilts built into the T-60 legs:
Freddy Rigging Lower Leg

The final result was elegantly simple.  I'm looking forward to finishing the paint work:
Foot attached to stilt


I'm glad he took care of that part though, becasue it meant I could focus on the Grey Knight details:
Detailing Chest Vents

There's a lot of them:
Chest Front Details Progress

At some point it was just about 1am and it was time to go home.  I know because Tiki was in the shop giving me her best "it's 1am and it's time to go home" face:
Tiki at 1am

So that's what I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment