About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

10 Days to Maker Faire

Earlier this evening a friend of mine posted that she was going to start taking bets regarding when my posts were going to deteriorate to the point where I was just posting blurry photos accompanied by abstract haiku without context.  So I suppose I should get this out of the way...


20180507_162058

Rubber, resin, sleep
Two out of three isn't bad
Making all the things.

Ahem.

I will admit that I'm a bit worried that these posts aren't entertaining enough.  To correct this, I'm going to try and run down a quick chronological recap of today's efforts as best I can reconstruct them with the help of my camera and cellular phone.

The day started around 0600 when I snapped awake for no good reason at all.

I was on a boat.

After a little bit of housekeeping and administrative chores (paying bills, emailing clients, ordering plastic lemons, harnessing the dogs, etc.) it was time to make a quick stop for coffee and head to the shop.  When I got there it looked like so:
Beginning of the Day

So I checked my very ambitious to-do list:
To-Do List

No problem.

The first thing I started with was laying another coat of rubber in the molds:
Rubber Molds Poured

Then I put the first coat of silver on a bunch of the Grey Knight parts:
Shiny Shoulder Drying

Shiny Metal Crotch

Then I decided to take a break for a few minutes and assemble some grenades:
Hei Hei Grenade Pile

Back to work on the Grey Knight, I used some quart paint cans to set the height on the lower leg parts:
Proper Calf Placement

That gave me a chance to make a cardboard mockup of the bulkhead that will be mounted inside the calf part for the stilts to be bolted to:
Making Cardboard Template

Once I'd cut out a couple of copies in plywood, I shifted gears and did a bit of bodyshop work on the lower legs of the T-60 Power Armor.  Sadly, I neglected to take any photos of that process.

What I did do was take a couple of pics of the new ears being printed for the Mouser bots:
Ears Printing

Once they were done printing, I did a quick dry fit with one of the cast parts:
New, Improved Ears

Then I went back to spraying the second coat of silver on the Grey Knight parts.  But since I was running out of places to hang painted parts, I had to improvise:
Shiny Shoulders

At that point, the air in shop was pretty thick with paint fumes and I was starting to get a bit hungry.  So I got changed into clothes I could wear on the street and headed over to the hardware store:
hardware store run

Among other things, I picked up a sheet of plywood, some 2x2s, PVC pipe, and a whole host of nuts and bolts and pink paint.  It all fit in the car well enough:
Lumber Hauler

When I got back, I started the CNC machine cutting out the next piece of the display booth and made the Mouser jaw and body ready to mold:
Ready to Mold

Then poured a print coat:
Print Coat

That's about the time my friend Sierra stopped by and helped out by doing a bit of rotocasting.

Meanwhile the Carvewright was done with the next panel:
Panel Number 4 or 5

My friend Breana stopped in too and showed me how to update my new website.  More on that later.

That's about the same time a swarm of tiny little flies invaded the shop and one of them did a kamikaze run right into the wet silicone:
Fly in the Silicone

So I covered the molds and, taking a cue from the doggos, I decided to call it a night:
Tuckered Doggos

Tomorrow should be a busier day.

1 comment:

  1. To do list from hell
    Impressive completion rate
    Friend is wrong so far

    ReplyDelete