About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

New Camera

I've got a lot of cameras.  Each one has it's own specific utility and they're great for what they do.  You may remember that I lost one of them in Steamboat Slough while out on summer cruise with the Sea Scouts.  While I was able to get away with taking pics with my bulky DSLR, I definitely missed having a pocket-sized "UFO camera*" to catch all of the moments when I'm not planning on taking pictures but I still find good ones.


I was in the store mulling over all of the choices (it seems like there's more every year) and had it narrowed down to the waterproof, crushproof, freezeproof, bulletproof Olympus Stylus camera and the updated version of my recently-departed Canon camera.  When a salesperson noticed my headscratching and came over to help, the exchange went about like so:

HE: Can I help you with anything?

ME: Well I've got it narrowed down to one of these two cameras, so can you tell me anything about them that isn't written on the display?

HE: The Canon comes in orange.

ME: Sold!

He wasn't kidding either:



I figure there's nobody in the world who would steal this camera.  Now I can grab pics of anything I spot whenever I spot it without taking crappy cellphone pics like I did when I spotted the rocketship down on the Embarcadero in San Francisco.

Not kidding:
Raygun Gothic Rocketship in SF

*I like the term "UFO camera."  It's one the salesman used while we were chatting and waiting for the debit card to go through.  It strikes me as the perfect term for the camera you carry all the time, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment