About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Aloft

This morning I spent some quality time putting the second coat of "Hatteras Off-White" on the spreaders:
Spreaders Painted

Once that was done, it was time to spend some quality time nose to nose with this mess:
Masthead

This is the top of the mainmast. At the top of the mast, I'm about eye level with the roof of the three-story office building adjacent to the marina. It makes for an interesting view:
View Aloft

Interesting views all over:
View Aloft 2

While I was up there, I reattached the upper shrouds, the backstays, and the intermediate shrouds. I need to do some work on the triatic stay before I can call my work on the maintop done.

Once I was back on deck, I went ahead and attached the whiskers to the bowsprit and found out that the turnbuckle on the bobstay was siezed and will need some work. I also went ahead and reattached the roller furler for the jib and snugged up the forestay before leading the backstays to the chainplates on the aft cabin and siezing them in place (I'll need to drill out the eyes swaged onto the lower ends so they'll fit the pins on the turnbuckles, so I just wanted to make sure they were leading right).*

Meanwhile, now that I've done all that I can on the boat until the spreader paint dries, it's time to get back to work on the HALO costume.

Stay tuned. Sooner or later I'll hoist myself up aloft and plummet to my death. I'm sure you'd feel silly if you missed it.

*This is the most navular sentence I've typed in a while. If only I could've worked in the word "baggywrinkle" I'm sure I would've set some sort of record. Yar!

No comments:

Post a Comment