When they came out with HALO3, the folks at Bungie included a lot of options for customizing the look of your armor in the game. Among the many permutations avalable is the "EVA" version, shown here:
I think the helmet is pretty snazzy, even if the large gold dome would work best as a sniper magnet. Still, I haven't liked it enough to spend the time building one from scratch.
A while back I acquired a raw casting of this helmet in a trade with another maker. The main challenge for this particular helmet though is to get the gold-tone, full-head faceshield to have the proper metallic sheen and still be transparent enough to see through.
I came up with this plan knowing it would not be perfect. I did expect it'd look the part though. Here's how I went about it...
Step one, cut out the recessed areas:
Step two, cut out pieces of 1/8" amber acrylic, cook them in the oven until they're soft and flexible, and press them into the holes with a rag so that they become convex:
Step three, spray the helmet with black primer and test fit:
Step four, tack the acrylic pieces in place with CA adhesive and test fit again:
Step five, caulk around th edges with clay:
Step six, mask off the inside of the acrylic where you'll need to see through:
Step seven, pour a batch of black casting resin inside and coat everything:
Step eight, after the resin has started to cure and before it is fully hardened, peel out the masking tape to uncover the acrylic viewports:
Step nine, mask off the viewports, pack the edges with filler putty. Then, when the putty has dried, spray the visor gloss black:
Step ten, spray on a coat of Mirrachrome, allow to dry, and then remove the masking tape:
Step eleven, test fit:
Step twelve, wipe down the inside of the acrylic parts with acetone and/or rubbing alcohol:
Step thirteen, dry out and remove fumes from inside the helmet:
Step fourteen, lightly spray the inside of the acrylic parts with Mirrachrome:
Step fifteen, smile for the camera:
Step sixteen, test fit:
Step seventeen, spray on a coat of Tamiya "clear orange" acrylic:
The color looks about right in sunlight, but it loses a bit indoors:
Still, it seems to fit in with the rest of the stack okay:
Sooner or later, someone's going to ask about visibility. Here's a shot from the inside of the helmet:
The dark spot is where I put the Mirrachrome on a bit too thick. Otherwise, it's a bit cloudy but it works.
Step eighteen, mask off all of the metallic parts and spray on a coat of satin white paint (the primary color I've chosen for this helmet):
Step nineteen, hand paint the brown portion (the secondary color I've chosen):
Step twenty, test fit:
Step twenty-one, hand-paint the black details:
Step twenty-two, sit back and marvel at what you've wrought:
Now I just need to find a very large friend with a very small head to dress up as the Meta from Red vs. Blue...