About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Amazing Things from the Internet: Toilet Snorkel

I was looking for some source images for a photoshop project yesterday and was amazed when Google Image Search dug up this winner:



A little bit of investigation revealed that this illustration was taken from the U.S. patent for the "toilet snorkel." Not a joke. You see, in high-rise building fires, many would-be survivors end up dying from smoke inhalation. The inventor envisioned this handy device as a way for trapped apartment dwellers to get to a source of relatively fresh air that would enable them to survive long enough for rescuers to extricate them. I have my doubts about the breathability of sewer gasses, but I guess it beats the noxious fumes from the burning of modern synthetic construction materials and furnishings.

No comments:

Post a Comment