About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Bloggage Catchup

Dear Readers,

It's been a good, long while since I've taken the time to sit down and write up a blog post.  I hate to say it, but with the lack of comments my posts tend to get and the seeming shortage of traffic that's going on, it's hard to stay motivated to generate content.

Still, I figure I'll give it all another go now that the shelter-in-place quarantine is going on.  It seems likely that y'all have a bit of free time and might need something or other to read to help pass the time while this global COVID-19 pandemic has us all staying home and slowing things down a bit.

Some of my nearly complete project write-ups include building replicas of the Morita Assault Rifle from Starship Troopers, Samus Aran's helmet from the classic Metroid video games, the beginning of Armorsmith's costume from the hit Disney Plus series the Mandalorian, and lifesize Mouser bots from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I've also been thinking about diversifying my writing a bit.  I worry that my last few posts have become somewhat rote with a string of "I started with this and then did this, and then this, and then this, and then it was done."  I suppose it's not as entertaining as it used to be.  I've also not taken any time to write about anything else going on in my life such as my retirement from the Naval Reserve last year, the Lady Shawnon moving back home from Nevada, our growing collection of saltwater aquariums, the new cat(s) hanging out in the workshop, and more.

With that in mind, what would you like to see more of?  
How-to's and tutorials?  Gross descriptions of boat maintenance projects?  Sea stories from my time in the Navy and the Merchant Marine?  Dog, cat, chicken, and fish pictures?  Scantily-clad young women with science fiction weapons?  I figure there are parts of my unusual life experience that might be interesting for at least a few people, but since they're normal for me it doesn't occur to me that it might be worth writing about.  Let me know in the comments.

Thanks for reading,

-Shawn

17 comments:

  1. Hey Shawn! Long-time lurker but thought you'd like to hear that I'm always glad to see an update pop into my feed reader. Props and how-tos / how-I-dids are, unsurprisingly, how I found your site - and I loved your book - so just wanted to drop in and say thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much enjoy your posts, especially information on techniques and why one technique is superior to another in particular instance. Please keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scantily clad sailor women doing boat repair while telling sea stories!

    Hope you’re doing well Thorsson! - F’nMT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello.
    Long time reader, and actually commented once years back. I've always enjoyed your content, and I love seeing your process.

    As for content, I've always found How to's/tutorials to be a good read, and the stories from time in the navy are always fun.

    Thank you for all the time you've put into this blog, it has been a great inspiration over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lurker here, i check your blog many times a month!

    I enjoy your project blogs a lot and share them to my larper builder friends!

    Keep well and write of things that interest you :)

    Miikka

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog. More how to's would be great and I also like the naval stories! Keep going! This is one of the websites I love to check and see updates from!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Shawn,

    You always mention the rotocasting process to make duplicates, but never show or describe it.
    That is one part of the process that still seems "mysterious" to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shawn,
    I check your blog at least once a week to see if you have added any new content. I'd really like to see how you tackle test fitting a helmet. ie: using foam, straps, webbing etc...

    I'm still trying to figure that part out. :) thanks for all you do! and your book was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Personally, I think a series of chrome plated combat gnomes would freak out the neighbors. I check your blog daily for new posts. They give me something enjoyable to do while at work. And it is also good to see someone else using a Carvewright...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like reading about anything and everything you do! Keep it all coming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oi Oi, Sometimes our darkest moments allow us to Shine, Many years ago.... I came across your 40k Terminator helmet trophy thing build.. and well that was enough to get me hooked. Since then I've been lurking here almost on a weekly basis and all I can say is WOW. and Thank you. If it wasn't for that blog post long ago I wouldn't be having the fun I have today, Nor would I be scaring my boss with the stuff I make in my cube at work on my lunch. I wouldn't be filling my Garage with half finished projects (8 kids kinda sucks almost all of my time) and I wouldn't be testing my creativity. You sir, and the folks that help you do the magic that you do are AWESOME, Never stop being the light to guide others.

    As for something I'd like to see... Hows about some 40k Eldar stuff ? OR a Robbie the Robot Build (Original version OFC).

    Stay Safe, & Safe Journeys.


    PS Love your book :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Write whatever makes you want to write! I've been reading for years, and very much enjoy the blog! Besides, you never know when or where inspiration is going to strike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the posts. I read every one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Long time lurker, I to also check your blog every couple weeks just to see what you maybe working on or just what is happening. Whatever you feel like sharing I'm all for, I'm a buildier myself and have expandied from just Foam work, to 3d prints and some rough modeling in 3d to make costumes and props. Keep having fun and enjoying your life and the occasianal post is always nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Also a deep lurker, I've been around your blog since the first garden gnomes. gotta say you're literally the reason I got into this hobby. I'm actually working on a Death corp of Kreig costume and I've been re reading your warhamemr marine build for helps! keep being awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I understand wondering whether posts are actually reaching anyone. I have to admit that I check in with some frequency, but don't often leave a comment because it would all be along the lines of "This is SO cool!" followed by "This is ALSO SO cool!" on the next post and so on and so on and… Well, you get the idea…

    Keep up the good work and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Please keep up your great blog work! I love dropping by from time to time. Your projects always stoke the flames of my nerdy creativity!

    ReplyDelete