About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Sunday, April 21, 2024

Genestealer Build Update 11: New Stilts and Tuning up the Chest for Molding

When I last posted anything significant about this goofy little build, I had it sitting on the bench looking like so:Genestealer Arms Test Fit Back Right

Meanwhile, Jeff had the digital model looking like so:Jeffeffe's Genestealer Beefy Legs

So it's been time to get at least some kind of start on the lower half of the body.  The problem is, Jeff's been doing the digital sculpt based on a wild guess about the proportions and sizing things thicker to be on the safe side  So the legs are pretty chonky.  

In order to make the legs look a little leaner, we'd need to get a scan of our actual body shapes, including the stilts we'd be wearing in order to fit the parts better.

The stilts started with a lifecast of our feet standing on our tippy toes.  Those lifecasts were then wrapped in a 1/4" thick layer of clay like so:
Clayed up Legs

The clay was smoothed out and coated with a PVA mold release, then given a coat of black gelcoat:
Gelcoated Legses

Once the gelcoat had set up, I used copious amounts of bondo glass build a pad onto the bottom of the feet with a length of 1" steel square tubing bonded into place:
Strut Graft in Place

The whole assembly was then layered over with four layers of 3/4 ounce fiberglass mat:
Glassing in Progress

Once the glass had cured, I cut each leg into two parts and pried them off of the lifecasts:
Fiberglass Stilt Bodies Trimmed

For the initial trial run, I laid in a layer of 1/4" foam and strapped them onto my legs:
Strapping on the Stilts

We'll refine the strapping arrangement sooner than later, but for now, duct tape does the job:
Initial Practice in the Stilts

Stalking around on the smooth concrete floor with nothing for traction except for the hard, sharp edge on the tip of the steel tubing proved to be a bit precarious.  So I headed outside to walk around on the gravel driveway:
Venturing Outside

That worked just fine until I got to the edge, stepped on the softer ground, and stabbed my left foot all the way into the earth, nearly losing my balance and doing all kinds of damage that would've been tough to explain in the emergency room.

So we'll get back to the stilts later.

The other big stride was on the chest prototype.  I decided I'd like to have a bit more structure to mount the head and upper arms onto, so I didn't want to make the whole chest a separate part.  Instead, the lowest "rib" and the underarm part of the shell will be removable to get the thing on and off without dislocating the wearer's shoulders.  So I split it thusly:
Chest Split 1

The upper portion will be molded without this lower piece, so I went ahead and taped everything in place where it would end up once it's finally assembled:
Chest Split 2

The overlapping areas of the back section were wrapped inside and out with masking tape which was coated in a release agent.  Then I smeared over the gap with some bondo glass:
Ribcage Mating Surfaces

I did the same thing at the joint between the upper and lower arm holes:
Making the Mating Surfaces 

This process was repeated for all four of these seams:   20240409_171303

Now, with the tape removed, the seams overlap in such a way that friction and tension are enough to keep the pieces from falling apart:
Chest Split and Realigned

With that done, the back was popped off of the chest piece so we can smooth it out prior to molding:
Chest hooks

This entire evolution was done with this poor, tragic, neglected dog underfoot:
Shop Doog Resting

Back to the stilts, earlier this week Jeff stopped by so we could get a 3D scan of one of us with the stilts on.  Since I'm a bit thicker than he is, if the parts are big enough to fit me, they'll probably fit him just fine.  So I was elected to be scanned.  So I had to get into something form-fitting and get back into the stilts.  

This time I was smart enough to put a tennis ball on the tip of each foot for traction and grab a pair of forearm stilts to help me keep myself upright until I get more comfortable with these new feet:
Stiltwalking with Crutches for Learning

The first attempt at scanning ran into some problems with the dark area of the stilts, so we misted on a coat of flat white paint to make them easier for the scanner to pick up:
Lightening the Stilts for 3D Scanning

Then we cleared out some space in the office and got to scanning:
Stilt Scanning

this time we got all of the nooks and crannies:
Stilt Scanning

After the scanning was done, Jeff got to work smoothing out the seams on the arm parts:
Seam Cleanup

Later that evening, he sent me the scan data.  It's glorious:
Stilts Scan

So here's what the current digital model looks like:
Stilts Test Fit

Now Jeff can begin refining the waist/hip/tail section so we can print out another sculpting armature and get started on making the rubber bit happen:
Genestealer Waist and Hip Beginnings

Meanwhile, the head sculpt is collecting dust on the bench and slowly being surrounded by little distractions:
Collecting Dust

Next week I'll be focused on another project, but once that's done I'll be shifting focus back to this guy.  That head needs finishing and soon.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment