About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Thursday, May 9, 2024

Genestealer Build Update 12: Shorts and Thighs Modeled

Last week was mostly about playing catchup now that we're back in the shop. Jeff was still hard at work on the 3D modeling for this project though, so he was able to fine-tune the models for the lower half of the creature so they would better fit the scan of me in the stilts. Since Jeff is leaner than me, if we can get me into the suit, the same parts will definitely be big enough for him to wear them too.

So he got the digital sculpt done for the lower section of the torso:
Shorts Side

The plan is to turn these into a pair of rubber shorts with the tail built in.  So once he sent me the model, I made a few changes to turn them into a sculpting armature that we can use as the base for a clay sculpt to cast in silicone later.  This mostly just meant lengthening the upper end of the waist and the bottom of the legs as well as removing the little spine nubs from the back and tail:
Shorts Render 1
I opted to leave the bulge on the front.  Might as well make this creature look happy.

They're gonna be really sexy when it comes time to put them on:
Ridiculous Digital Shorts Test Fit

Then again, the whole thing will go through a series of ridiculous iterations on the way to getting fully-dressed:
Ridiculous Digital Test Fit

So now I'm in the process of printing the sculpting armature for the shorts and splitting up the thigh pieces so I can carve forming bucks on the CNC machines.  Meanwhile, Jeff is fine tuning the sculpt for the lower legs and feet.  So we're on track to get this guy looking like so:    Genestealer Legs Shaping Up

Meanwhile, the arm parts have been getting occasional attention on their way to being completely trimmed and prepped for paint:
GS Arms Trimming and Sanding

The head sculpt still needs to get finished.  At least he looks like he's having a good time while he waits: 
HUuurgh!

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment