About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Saturday, July 14, 2018

July 2018 UFO Sightings in the Workshop

As usual I find I've got way too many irons in the fire and there's a shortage of time to sit down and blog about it.  That combined with the fact that I tend to only write up full articles about projects once they're done means that I haven't been doing near enough blogging lately.

To make amends, here's a stack of photos of current UnFinished Objects in and around the shop.

First off, I've started tinkering with a lot of Star Wars stuff again.  I've decided to move my Episode 7 flametrooper build a little higher up on the priority list, so the D-93 Incinerator is now a work in progress.  Here's the digital model I'm starting with:
Incinerator Digital Model

Because it's made of so many tiny little parts, it's not very well suited to CNC carving.  Instead, I've had to settle for 3D printing the whole thing.  Here's how it looks right about now:
First Order Incinerator Begins

The barrels and muzzle block are currently printing, so it's only a matter of time before the whole thing will be assembled and prepped for molding.

On the subject of First Order props, I've also printed the "quadnoculars":
First Order Quadnoculars Begin
These are the clunky, huge binoculars that showed up in the visual dictionary for Episode 7 and were on display at the Star Wars Launch Bay at Disneyland, but so far haven't actually appeared in the films.  Still, I'm making them because I'm about to accidentally reproduce the entire First Order.

The other thing I've just barely started is the Sisters of Battle armor from Warhammer 40k.  I started with the helmet:
Sisters Helmet in Progress
I'll probably make a handful of copies of the costume and most of them don't wear helmets, but I wanted something that would make the armor present well on a mannequin and allow people to wear the costume even if they weren't all pasty and pale like the women in the artwork.

For scale, here's my new workshop assistant Rachel trying on the sculpt in progress:
Sororitas Helmet Test Fit

The other 40k project that I've been tinkering with again is my replica of the Wolf Helm of Russ.  Here's how it looks right now:
Wolf Helm Test Fit

It's a little stuffy inside, but I'm liking it:
Wolf Helm Fit Success

I've also built a custom display stand for that one:
Wolf Helm on Stand

On the subject of nearly done things, there's also the Fallout T-60 power armor I've been working on off and on for the past year or two.  So far I've managed to take the (nearly ready) costume out for two location photoshoots.  Here's a teaser photo from the first shoot:
T-60 Evening Stroll
As you can see, the rigging still needed a few tweaks.

Here's a shot from last weekend:
Fallout 4 T-60 photo by Hep Svadja
So it's coming right along.

But as soon as I finish that project, there have to be at least four or five to work on in its place.  So I've started tinkering with more Halo props again.  Namely, I've decided to start making the helmet for Locus from Red vs. Blue.  Here's the assembled prototype:
Locus Helmet Camera Arrangement Test

Once the nose piece is installed, it'll be impossible to see out of this helmet.  So I'm using a pair of video goggles inside the helmet to allow visibility:
Locus Helmet Goggles Test 5

The video feed comes from a tiny camera mounted in the helmet's mouth:
Locus Helmet Camera Position

The resolution isn't great, but it'll keep me from walking into walls while I'm in costume.

As long as I'm screwing around, I've also picked up a kit to build a Patrol Trooper helmet:
Patrol Trooper Helmet Fine Smoothing

If you don't recognize that guy, don't worry.  He's one of the new variants of Imperial stormtrooper that showed up for all of five seconds in the Solo movie.

And last, but certainly not least, I've been collaborating with my friend Jon to bring the War Machine armor from Ironman 2 to life.  Jon just pulled a set of legs out of the mold a little while ago:
War Machine Legs

Meanwhile, I've been making slow progress on the chest and back:
WM Chest Test Fit with Helmet

So that's getting closer to done too.

I'm sure there's more stuff in the works that I'm not thinking of at the moment, but stay tuned and there will be more.  This is a big year for finishing projects for me.


3 comments:

  1. So for the Sisters of Battle costume, will you be making that larger like space marines or are they just normal sized. I don't really know the lore on the sisters, but I didn't think they go through the same enhancements as the space marines. Platform shoes for some extra height? I realize you only have half a helmet so far, so I might have jumped the gun a little with this question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll just be normal sized. No enhancements. They'll have platform boots and their gear will be selectively bulky, but that's about it.

      Delete
  2. Dude, you should show the folks at rooster teeth that rvb helmet when you're done :)

    ReplyDelete